Site-specific, interactive project in the Russian Arctic
The town of Kola
- The eldest town in the Russian Arctic
- Established in 1565, populated by Pomors. Kola district attested in the Russian chronicles in 1264
- Kola was the northernmost town of the Russian Empire
- Kola population is 10 400 inhabitants
- Kola is now 12 km south of Murmansk (est. in 1916, 307 000 inhabitants)
- Close to the border with Western Europe
- Norway and Finland – 3 hours by carBoth installations have been built at the place where new constructions were planned in the year after Perestroika.
The original project has never been realized and remained a utopia. the place functioned as a witness of the dramatic changes in the russian history.
The produced art works reflect the nostalgic memories about the collectivist time and attempt to observe the individualist today.
The work consists of the existing rests of the not completed concrete fundamental from the 1990s. The pit has existed for 20 years and locals used it for gathering garbage, as well as a meeting place for disadvantaged teenagers. The construction is grounded in a pit, but is moving upwards.
The color solution plays an important role in the installation. From the Western side the columns have been painted red and differ slightly in size and hues. From the Eastern side, every participant could choose the individual color they prefer to paint, and the color scheme is more heterogeneous.
The pictures document the final result of the interactive process, where from 5 to 40 per day for 17 days local teenagers and grown-ups took part. After having been shown on TV, the site has been popular for walking, taking pictures and other events. The site attracted people from other towns, and from Murmansk.
Local people concerned about the construction. – “It would be burned and broken”
Invitations to local to take a part in the creative process
Volunteers from Murmansk
Youngsters from Kola Art school change their planar to workshops at the project.
Resources of the materials
The paint 127 originally made for the army boat, brought by the local person
Friends, locals, guests from other cities brought some brushes, old paint, rollers etc.
Partly, wood supplied by the local businessmen to support Art in Kola
Relatives and friends, local people attended the site, brought food and hot tea.
The project involved several generations of the local people.
Parents wrote the notes stating that they allows their children to clean up the
garbage and to paint the pillars.
Opening Day/ Roxy, Contemporary Art Centre organised music and Twister Game
The place changed it function and become a playground for the local children.
Is attracting the tourists, local people of different age to walk around, weddings, photo
session and more.
Press about the prject:
1)From our window you can see the installation.
2) Art objects The Wave and The Pit have been constructed in the town of Kola.
3) On the wave of inspiration.
4) «The Red Wave» has been constructed on the river bank
5) In the Zapolyarje a massive art object is being constructed
6) Radio Murmanmedia on 25 September, 2014, part 1, length 47:10
7) An unusual object has been opened in the town of Kola
8) The town of Nikel can become an open air museum.
Art Diarector: Ekaterina Golubina
Coordinator: Roxy, Contemporary Art Center
Translation: Ekaterina Sharova
Support: Space, window frames and rubbish removal provided by “Yurist Standart”